1. Uniform dressing. You can buy nondescript LBDs, cream-colored knits, and dark wash jeans from anywhere. Having a handful of classic pieces in your closet allows for an array of looks that scream $MONEY$.
2. Polished looks pricey. Messy will never equal ‘wealthy’ at first glance, so keep things polished with clean lines, polished accessories, and neat hair and makeup.
3. The basics. If nothing else, invest in your shoes and bag. If you can’t afford to, carry a minimalist leather tote and wear simple ballet flats or loafers.
4. Keep it real. Do not wear fake leather. Ever. You’re fooling no one.
5. Logo is a no-go. Avoid putting brands on display. A purse covered in logos is nothing you want to be seen carrying.
6. $weater weather. Drape your cardigan over your shoulders like every one of our favorite 80s preps.
7. Tip top shape. If you’re going to wear something, make sure it’s still in good condition. Nicks and scratches on shoes, bags, or anything else you’re wearing are a no-no.
8. When it comes to sunglasses, listen to Jackie O. Wear tortoiseshell eyewear àla Jackie Kennedy.
9. Simply cinched. Cinching an oversized coat or classic button-down adds instant chic to any outfit.
10. Nail it. Keep eccentric nails to a minimum—just say no to neon polish and anything acrylic.
11. Dark denim. The darker the wash, the more sleek your denim looks.
12. Like a lady. Ladylike dresses that make you look like you just stepped out of a Kennedy family portrait give off an old money, new clothes, feel.
13. Your scent can be just as wealthy as your look. Try these, or these.
14. Draped in jewels. Don’t be afraid to put your jewels front and center. From simple diamond studs to that borderline-gaudy statement necklace, this kind of jewelry ups the ante.
15. The “I have money” combo. Own a navy blazer. Own a turtleneck. Wear them together.
16. Status staples. Embrace conservative status symbols like Belgian Shoes and Gucci loafers (but steer clear of the more gaudy ones like the interlocking “G” belts).
17. If you don’t know, now you know. Two words: Camel. Coat.
18. Make sure it fits. Clothing is instantly downgraded when it doesn’t fit correctly. Stay away from items that swallow you whole or cut off circulation/create imprints in your skin.
19. It’s okay to be square. Gentlemen, always wear a pocket square. It’s a simple way to completely change the look of an ensemble.
20. Wear your pearls girls. When in doubt, a classic strand of pearls adds elegance (and dollar signs) to your style.
21. Head to toe. Monochrome (read: all black everything) is the perfect way to give off that, ‘everything I’m wearing is chic and cost a fortune’ vibe.
22. Timing is everything. A nice watch is the ultimate power-play accessory, even if it can’t be Rolex or Cartier Tank.
23. Into the wild. Tread carefully when it comes to animal print. There’s a fine line between a leopard-print heel and a zebra-print jumpsuit.
24. Hair apparent. Make sure your hair is clean, well cut, and if you have the time, get a blow out.